[teampractices] [Wikitech-l] Organizing project in the Phabricator - advice needed

Andre Klapper aklapper at wikimedia.org
Wed Oct 28 14:50:47 UTC 2015

CC'ing teampractices@

On Wed, 2015-10-28 at 11:18 +0000, Marcin Cieslak wrote:
> I have recently did some review of the Mediawiki-Installer
> project, fixing some minor bugs right away:

Thank you!

> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/mediawiki-installer/
>
> As far as I understand the workboard, I cannot (and shouldn't)
> have too many columns - they are there to illustrate the progress of
> work.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Project_management#Boards
hopefully helps?

> Since we have so many issues open there (129 open in the backlog,
> which is one per 100 lines of code counted with "wc -l")
> I'd like to group them into those than can be tested and even
> probably fixed at the same time:
>
> * Restricted environments (currently a column on the workboard).
> * Users and passwords
> * Environment checks
>
> etc.
>
> Those things need to be pretty fluid (I like to re-think
> and re-organize as I go).
>
> How can I do that? I understand I need a permission to create
> a project, which is too bureaucratic for this task.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Creating_and_renaming_projects
are the guidelines. Getting permissions is rather easy, see
https://phab
ricator.wikimedia.org/project/profile/835/

> Probably the good way would be to define sprints (but without
> dates, since it's volunteer work:) but a Sprint is also
> a project, so I need permission, too.

Having Sprint projects could be one solution, see "Sprints" in
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Project_management#Projects

Cheers,
andre
--