[teampractices] Why are WMF Department/team pages on mediawiki.org?

Kevin Smith ksmith at wikimedia.org
Fri May 22 16:12:39 UTC 2015

Thanks for the context!

S: Yes, my first sentence was meant to be TPG-specific. I lost that in
editing right before I hit "send".

Restricted access on mwfoundation is a pretty good argument for not going
there.

Having "one" place to go sounds good in theory, but at least as a
foundation employee I find myself bouncing between several wikis, so I
don't feel like we have achieved that.

It does seem like if the foundation is focused on the software, then having
all the teams on mediawiki would be reasonable. But since we do so much
non-software community work, and so much non-software technical work, meta
sounds appealing. Shifting from mw.o to meta would actually be moving
toward community, as opposed to splitting away from it. However, I have
spent almost no time on meta, so that's purely a snap response.

Currently, the Search & Discovery department is working on 3 projects:
Cirrus/text search, maps, and Wikidata Query Service. Of those, I think
only one is actually "mediawiki" work, which is part of what inspired my
question. The other part is that the TPG is starting to work with
non-Engineering teams within the foundation, and thus is working more and
more on non-mediawiki stuff. I suppose it depends on how broadly you define
"MediaWiki".

I was putting myself in the shoes of a non-foundation mediawiki developer.
Certainly I would care about Cirrus Search, but would I care about maps?
Would I care about the TPG? And, in fact, we have had pushback when naming
our new department pages in mediawiki. Both Editing[1] and Search &
Discovery[2] have been criticized in their Discussion pages. Reading[3]
doesn't have complaints yet, but is newer. That was what triggered my
thought that foundation/Editing makes a lot of sense, where
mediawiki/Editing might not.

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Editing
[2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Search_and_Discovery
[3] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading

Kevin Smith
Agile Coach
Wikimedia Foundation

sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Help us make it a reality.*