[teampractices] Email naming in Google Apps Mail

Arthur Richards arichards at wikimedia.org
Mon Jun 15 16:43:51 UTC 2015

In the list settings, "A mailing list to discsuss team practices in
Wikimedia organizations" is the short description for the list, which gets
used on the overall lists page (https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo)
so folks can can at-a-glance get the gist of a list.

I have no idea why this also gets used as the sender's name, but presumably
it's something that mailman (our mailing list software) is doing. This
would be a good question to ask about on wikitech-l or of the WMF ops staff
(eg in #wikimedia-operations on freenode) since they maintain our lists
infrastructure.

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 9:37 AM, James Douglas <jdouglas at wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> +1
>
> I've been manually renaming mailing lists like this in my Gmail contacts,
> but it would be convenient if it were done on a global level.
>
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 9:34 AM, Max Binder <mbinder at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
>> I've been noticing quite a few lists with names like
>>
>> "A mailing list to discuss team practices in Wikimedia organizations" <
>> teampractices at lists.wikimedia.org>
>>
>> While this isn't a terrible name for these types of lists (as they
>> accurately describe the list purpose), giving the email's "name" as a
>> sentence results in the first word of the sentence being used by Gmail to
>> identify the sender to the email user. In the above case, the list arrives
>> in an inbox as sent by "A" instead of the full name. This behavior may vary
>> from service to service.
>>
>> On Gmail, this can get confusing if there are multiple email lists that
>> start with the same word. Is anyone aware of a setting to show the full
>> sender's name? Else, I think it may be a better convention to name list
>> with underscores. In this case, the name could be
>> "WMF_Team_Practices_Public."
>>
>> Thoughts?

Arthur Richards
Team Practices Manager