[teampractices] Code review before writing new code

Arthur Richards arichards at wikimedia.org
Tue Jun 9 00:26:04 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 1:51 AM, Quim Gil <qgil at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 10:23 AM, Quim Gil <qgil at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
>> Thank you, very useful. I'm happy to see that our problem with code
>> review keeps becoming more evident, if only as a step to finally doing
>> something about it.
>>
>> http://korma.wmflabs.org/browser/gerrit_review_queue.html shows that our
>> backlog of patches waiting for review keeps growing. 1542 last month, was
>> 1033 a year ago. If you consider the time and skills it takes to produce
>> one patch, you may imagine the big black hole of frustration and waste of
>> real money we have there.
>>
>> While comparing satisfaction across teams is subjective and complex,
>> comparing code review waiting times between WMF teams can be measured
>> objectively. Engineering Community is aiming to organize a first Gerrit
>> Cleanup Day [1] focusing on open patches submitted by volunteers, and we
>> could work on these metrics for the second one -- unless someone wants to
>> start earlier, of course.
>>
>> [1] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T88531

Just wanted to say - it is really awesome that ECT is organizing a cleanup
day! Besides the awesomeness of driving down the overall backlog, I imagine
the experience will also help generate more ideas about how we can come up
with a more sustainable solution to the challenges of our code review
backlog. Thanks for organizing this :)

--
Arthur Richards
Team Practices Manager