[teampractices] Tracking team member calendars?

Greg Grossmeier greg at wikimedia.org
Wed Jun 3 22:28:51 UTC 2015

<quote name="Kevin Smith" date="2015-06-03" time="15:19:04 -0700">
> I have just now posted a question on the talk page of
> https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/Office_IT/Calendars to ask who actually
> uses the WMF Sick/Vacation calendar, and whether it should be
> decommissioned.

I'd welcome that.

> Pretending to schedule a meeting is a viable way to determine if one person
> is in or out. It falls apart when you are curious about 5+ people. Is it
> possible to set up group aliases in google calendar, allowing you quickly
> set up a meeting with a certain 10 people?

I don't see how that's possible given all of those 10 people have
different scheduled :/

I don't find it too hard to schedule ~10 people for a meeting using the
"Find a time" tab in the new event page of gcal. The grid layout and
auto-suggesting times that work for everyone is nice. The problem comes
when *someone* will have to have something scheduled over; that takes
looking at people's events and guessing which are most important. It's
not a fun job that I tend to just offload to Sarah, Megan, Praveena,
with immense gratitude.

Actually, given that our amazing admin/project coordinator staff are the
ones who do a ton of the heavy lifting on gcals, I would suggest talking
with a couple of them about their likes/dislikes/suggestions of the
system; they'll probably have the best information to give (and probably
not on this list).

Greg

--
| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |