[teampractices] Make a tag for quarterly goals?

Joel Aufrecht jaufrecht at wikimedia.org
Wed Jul 1 18:08:43 UTC 2015

We're still trying to flesh out a full set of use cases for the whole thing
(work planning?), which is probably impossible since it's a huge topic, but
without explicit use cases we keep falling back to logical data design and
then getting stuck in the maze.  Let's start:

   1. Individual team members want to know what they should work on next
   2. Product managers want to identify potential work in the near future
      1. from team goals
      2. from foundation goals
      3. from call to action or any other expressions of priority
      4. from community requests
      5. from other inputs
      3. Product managers want to estimate, break down, and prioritize
   potential work
   4. Product managers want to know what work they have already planned
   5. pretty much everybody wants to know when particular things (tasks,
   goals) will be done
   6. Bug reporters want to know the status of bugs they have reported
   7. More generally, stakeholders want to know the status (estimate,
   priority, expected completion date) of work they care about
   8. Product managers want to compare their teams' actual output to the
   planned output or goals

Does this include what you want to accomplish with goals?  Can you add to
this list?
Side note: we probably want to keep Epics and Goals distinct.  We're
working on a baseline vocabulary for the whole Foundation.  The direction I
think we want to go (no consensus on this yet) is that Task/Story is a
completable piece of work; Epic is a theoretically completable piece of
work that's more than (very roughly, will vary by team) a few person-weeks;
Goal/Milestone Criterion/Key Result is a target that you compare to a
project's current state to decide what Epics or Stories to create or
implement next.

*Joel Aufrecht*
Team Practices Group
Wikimedia Foundation