[teampractices] Document what should be a column on Phab workboards and what better not?

Arthur Richards arichards at wikimedia.org
Tue Feb 10 20:10:52 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 8:49 AM, Subramanya Sastry <ssastry at wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> I did not see this email till now. Yes, the Parsoid board is a weird mix
> of columns right now .... I was experimenting with what makes sense and I
> initially thought of making it process-specific, and then thought perhaps
> it can be a place for easy access to different categories of tasks which
> would otherwise be lost in the backlog .. and it actually helped us fix a
> few things by surfacing them in the columns .. but the net result was that
> it became a mix of different kinds of columns.
>
> I think a dashboard that gives us a bird's-eye view of the various
> subprojects (even if not the entire list of tickets) would have been useful
> and I was probably abusing the workboard for it.
>
> But, I am now thinking of removing some of the columns that can be
> subprojects and use the custom queries that you mention below. But, the
> custom queries would have to be bookmarks or be stored on some wiki page ..
> so it does feel like there is a missing UI feature somewhere.
>
> But, good practices and recommendations are welcome,

Prateek and I recently had a good conversation about workboards, which I
just forwarded it to this list
<https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/teampractices/2015-February/000596.html>.
Take a look - in it, I articulated what I understand to be the value of
workboards and what I understand to be a useful way to organize them. Ymmv
of course depending on your particular use case and needs. Subu, please
feel free to contact me offlist if you'd like to talk further about this
stuff - I could happily talk all day about workboards and related things ;)

--
Arthur Richards
Team Practices Manager