[teampractices] "Maintenance" vs "New work"

Kevin Smith ksmith at wikimedia.org
Mon Aug 10 16:14:48 UTC 2015

On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 1:55 PM, Greg Grossmeier <greg at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Whereas I think RelEng is probably[0] closer to only 20% in "new".

RelEng and Ops are the groups that to me are pretty obviously heavily
weighted toward "keep the lights on" and "maintain in the face of external
forces (e.g. upgrades)". Wherever the mw-core work went might also fall
into that category, and there may be others.

But I would hope that most if not all of the various teams within Reading,
Editing, Discovery, and FR would have relatively low burdens in the
"maintenance" areas, and therefore (mathematically) would have a stronger
focus on "new development" (which for the purposes of this paragraph
includes enhancing existing features).

Am I wrong, and there are actually Reading, Editing, or Discovery groups
which spend massive amounts of time on "maintenance"?

Kevin