[teampractices] Comic strip Kanban

Kevin Smith ksmith at wikimedia.org
Fri Apr 10 16:05:03 UTC 2015

There is a good ebook (available free) that compares Scrum and Kanban in
detail: http://www.infoq.com/minibooks/kanban-scrum-minibook

It has been a while since I read it, so I can't say whether it is "great"
or merely "good".

Kanban is *far* less prescriptive than Scrum, so it's harder to talk about
what Kanban "is". Kanban doesn't require you to have a product owner, or
daily standups, for example. Two teams could each be doing Kanban, and
their processes could look extremely different from each other. This leads
to some books about Kanban being almost unintelligible because they are so
vague. One excellent book is "Kanban in Action".

The cartoon depicts one possible typical implementation of Kanban in a
software development setting. And my dreadfully over-simplified explanation
of that example would be:  "Very similar to Scrum, but without timeboxed
iterations (sprints), and with each column having a limited capacity
(WIP)."  Rather than having a shippable product at the end of 2 weeks, it
would be shippable after each individual task is "done".

Kevin Smith
Agile Coach
Wikimedia Foundation

sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment.*