[teampractices] Bugzilla migration Re: Project management tools review: Regressions/tradeoffs; migration

Steven Walling swalling at wikimedia.org
Thu Mar 27 01:58:54 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 6:46 PM, Quim Gil <qgil at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> With 4707 or 22842 reports, writing the magical script is probably the
> only way forward. Once we have a script capable of migrating thousands of
> reports, we can apply it to other products / components.

I'd agree with 22,842... but not with 4707. We trust the MediaWiki
technical community to normally create/edit/resolve bugs, why not trust
everyone to migrate them too? With 100 people helping, that's less than 50
bugs a person. Some of our community members or staff handle A LOT more
bugs than that every week. Spreading that over a 24-48hr bug migration
party would be doable I think.

As for history: I'm not sure there is value in migrating all resolved bug
history, since the task status of Phabricator does not exactly match
Bugzilla anyway, and contains a lot of irrelevant information to strip like
gerrit patch links, keywords, and more. By importing all of Bugzilla, we're
partially replicating many of the UX problems it presented, and
perpetuating some particularly gross ones (like forcing exposure of user
email addresses in bug reports and comments). If Bugzilla is made always
available in read-mode, simply crosslinking to the original bug report
seems fine to me.

--
Steven Walling,
Product Manager