[teampractices] Team membership, what does it mean.

Antoine Musso hashar+wmf at free.fr
Tue Dec 2 22:16:54 UTC 2014

Hello,

Le 02/12/2014 22:42, Jared Zimmerman a écrit :
> Do we have agreement on what being part of a phabricator team means?

I don't think we have any.

> Should only foundation employees be members of teams?
>
> Should team membership be open?

It seems by default the projects / teams are joignable and editable by
anyone.

My team (release engineering) has "aude" from Wikimedia Deutschland and
"jeremyb" an happy and much helpful volunteer.

> What do we think it means to be a member of the team?

To me that express interest in whatever this team is working on and
potentially help them out.  We could ask ourselves what a "team" means
to us and I think it is an obsolete concept in a flat / agile
organization.  I really like the description from Spotify which shows
overlaps between groups of people:
 http://blog.crisp.se/2012/11/14/henrikkniberg/scaling-agile-at-spotify

Some of our projects are shared by the whole organization. The beta
cluster is assigned to the release engineering team but is maintained by
a guild that has memberships in the whole organization.

> What does member vs watcher mean on a project?

A member:
- can edit the project when edit is restricted
- receives a notification when a task CC the project

A watcher:
- receives notifications for any action on any task being a member of
the project (read: spam)

I am a watcher of the 'zuul' tag, a software we use to support our
continuous integration. So anyone adding task to 'zuul' will get me a
notification.

If I want to send a task for triage to the 'operations' team: I add
their team to the list of projects. Members will receive nothing but the
task will be on their workboard, watchers will get a notification.

If I want to spam all 'operations' people, I would add their team to the
CC field.

Sorry if that sounds slightly confusing :-/

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso