[QA] Google Code-in: Get your tasks for young contributors prepared!

Andre Klapper aklapper at wikimedia.org
Mon Oct 16 12:14:28 UTC 2017

Google Code-in is an annual contest for 13-17 year old students. It
will take place from Nov28 to Jan17 and is not only about coding tasks.

While we wait whether Wikimedia will get accepted:
* You have small, self-contained bugs you'd like to see fixed?
* Your documentation needs specific improvements?
* Your user interface has small design issues?
* Your Outreachy/Summer of Code project welcomes small tweaks?
* You'd enjoy helping someone port your template to Lua?
* Your gadget code uses some deprecated API calls?
* You have tasks in mind that welcome some research?

Also note that "Beginner tasks" (e.g. "Set up Vagrant" etc) and
"generic" tasks are very welcome (e.g. "Choose & fix 2 PHP7 issues
from the list in https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T120336 ").
Because we will need hundreds of tasks. :)

And we also have more than 400 unassigned open 'easy' tasks listed:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/HCyOonSbFn.z/#R
Would you be willing to mentor some of those in your area?

Please take a moment to find / update [Phabricator etc.] tasks in your
project(s) which would take an experienced contributor 2-3 hours. Check

   https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Code-in/Mentors

and please ask if you have any questions!

For some achievements from last round, see
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/02/03/google-code-in/

Thanks!,
andre
--