[QA] Pair programming with Zeljko (Thursday: 24th July 2014)

Vikas Yaligar vikasyaligar.it at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 09:55:07 UTC 2014

Hello,

Last week I paired up with Zeljko, and I learned a lot about jenkins job.

* We referred mediawiki article[1] and openstack[2] documentation to
install the jenkins job builder, but there was some problem with missing
package called six, "sudo pip install six" solved the problem.

*  Then we cloned the configuration repository[3](renamed it as config) in
the same folder where we downloaded jenkins job setup.

* When we did "git branch", it showed master(we expected a branch called
cloudbees to exists). But when we did git checkout cloudbees, it worked !
next time when we did "git branch" we found the cloudbees in the output. I
found the reason for it in one stackoverflow answer[4].

* We firstly ran the test to get the xml output, which is used by the
Jenkins by: "jenkins-jobs test config/ -o output/" this command generates
XML files from the yaml files in the output folder. Note that we need to
run this command from the folder where we have the config folder.

* All the jobs are listed in the jobs.yaml, which uses job_template.yaml.

* We wanted to trigger screenshot job[5] manually, to do so we removed
trigger from the default in job template and generated in XML file in new
folder(output_2). When we did diff on both the folders(output and
output_1), we found that some other jobs were also changed, which we did
not want to happen.

* We added those triggers to those jobs which were failed, and now diff
showed that only language screenshot was changed, so we pushed the code in
gerrit[6].

* Also jenkins job, gives us a link which shows which all jobs are changed,
which we add it in our commit message(Changed jobs).

Thank you Zeljko for pairing with me :)
-
[1]:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Continuous_integration/Jenkins_job_builder