[QA] bugzilla and needs-test

Jeff Hall jhall at wikimedia.org
Wed Jan 15 23:07:53 UTC 2014

In a previous position where I also used Bugzilla, the solution that we
came up with was simply to add a new custom field to Bugzilla, which I
think might have had the label "Test Status".

That field was implemented as a drop-down, and the possible values were
something like the following:

  * Blank (default)
  * Test needed
  * Test not needed
  * Test created

The idea was that whoever RESOLVED the bug was responsible for setting
the "Test Status" flag, and then whoever was responsible for adding
tests for the (Product + Component) in question could monitor the "Test
needed" items via a saved search.

Once the test was in place, the status was changed to "Test created" and
(if the tester was a Good Person), a comment was added to the bug with a
link to any relevant test automation, manual test cases, etc.

Our workflow included the extra step of changing the bug status from
RESOLVED to CLOSED when the test(s) were created, but I don't think we
use the CLOSED status in the WMF's Bugzilla instance.

It's not an elegant solution, but it's very lightweight and it worked
well enough.

- Jeff