[QA] Flagging some Beta Labs issues

Dan Duvall dduvall at wikimedia.org
Thu Aug 21 19:45:55 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Chris McMahon <cmcmahon at wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 4:06 PM, Maryana Pinchuk <mpinchuk at wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 3:06 PM, S Page <spage at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>>

>>> For one: setting up a labs instance requires a software engineer – which
>> I am not, nor is anyone on the Design/UX team. And that's just setting up a
>> totally empty vanilla install; if you want to test anything in any
>> semblance of a production-like environment, you need to import tons of
>> content, templates, extensions, scripts
>>

> We're investing in vagrant right now for just these reasons, and Dan
> Duvall (marxarelli on IRC) is the point person for supporting useful
> configurations in vagrant. We were discussing the possibility of using the
> vagrant config to provision labs instances, also. We would like to get to
> where non-software-engineers can flip a minimum of switches and get a
> useful dev/test env quickly.  Dan is in SF, so do please discuss this sort
> of thing with him when you see him.

Yes, I'd love to know what kinds of features we can add to MediaWiki
Vagrant for non-engineers and what kinds of barriers need to be knocked
down. In fact, this is great timing as we've just begun designing a survey
to gauge exactly that. I'll be sure to roll in Beta Labs questions as well,
to see how we might be able to shift some use cases to more isolated and
stable environments through MWV and/or labs.

Maryana, in addition to our organization-/community-wide survey, I'd also
like to sit down with specific teams to learn more about what tools and
environments are being used for development, QA, demos, release, etc.
Mobile Web seems like a great place to start given the progress Juliusz and
I have been making lately with browser tests—they're an important part of
this toolchain.

--
Dan Duvall
Automation Engineer