[QA] run browser tests against production Wikipedia?

Nikolas Everett neverett at wikimedia.org
Thu Sep 19 20:04:53 UTC 2013

I see no reason why we shouldn't have some kind of early warning
system.  It would even be possible to ping some talk pages hidden off
in the ether from time to time.

We certainly did this at Lulu.  If this search ever failed we would
sound the claxons:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?type=&keyWords=test+book+xyzzu&x=0&y=0&sitesearch=lulu.com&q=

We also bought a book every five minutes from off site with a fake but
valid credit card.  Our system ate the order right before sending it
to the credit card processor so we could be pretty sure that most of
the chain was still working.

That feels like the right level of paranoia.

Nik