[QA] Automated Installer tests

Chris McMahon cmcmahon at wikimedia.org
Wed Oct 23 14:36:48 UTC 2013

Hi Markus,

If I understand correctly, you want to automate the steps that a user would
take, in a browser, in order to install Mediawiki on a local system.  Is
that correct?  So your test would be something like

* Open some URL in a browser
* Type some text
* Select some options
* Click next
* Check the success message on the new wiki main page.

You will not need to create any gems.

You might want to watch the presentation that I gave in San Francisco on
the basic mechanism of writing a Cucumber test.  It is a little long, the
interesting part starts just over 40 minutes in (and the sound gets better
40 minutes in also):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dg6B5i0RM8

I am Ccing the QA mail list, we have a number of people who might have an
interest in helping support 3rd party Mediawiki work.

We should be able set up a pairing session with either Željko Filipin or me
(or a volunteer?) sometime soon. What is the best time for you?  Željko is
in Croatia, I am in western USA.

-Chris

PS.  That page on mediawiki.org is a little out of date, I'll be updating
it.