[QA] Best practices for long scenarios in Cucumber?

Chris McMahon cmcmahon at wikimedia.org
Tue Dec 17 21:51:30 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Nikolas Everett <neverett at wikimedia.org>wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Jeff Hall <jhall at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
>> I want to create a browser test (for Visual Editor) that will repro a
>> single continuous session where the user makes multiple edits to the same
>> page.  As I understand it, Cucumber "Scenarios" each equate to a new user
>> session, which is not what I want, so the alternative seems to be to
>> construct a long, continuous scenario like the following:
>>

> The second two implementations are somewhat debated.  Some cucumber folks
> hate steps calling steps and some love it.  I'm can see merit in both
> arguments.

Nik is a master of this (and I learned from the CirrusSearch examples) but
such things exist in the VE repo also:
https://git.wikimedia.org/blob/mediawiki%2Fextensions%2FVisualEditor/b922592902ad57f770b6810566b820aada74aa47/modules%2Fve-mw%2Ftest%2Fbrowser%2Ffeatures%2Fsupport%2Fhooks.rb

What I did with VE was to make the tests that loop like that be runnable
both with and without the REUSE_BROWSER env variable.  When running locally
I turn on REUSE_BROWSER, but as you know, Zelkjo objects to having
REUSE_BROWSER in the production run, and I think those objections are worth
considering.

So bottom line might be to use a hook that is aware of the REUSE_BROWSER
env var.

-C