[QA] Next SF workshop in September

Chris McMahon cmcmahon at wikimedia.org
Wed Aug 21 22:08:50 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Željko Filipin <zfilipin at wikimedia.org>wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 10:22 PM, Quim Gil <qgil at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
>> Shouldn't the next step be a session practicing the step from plain
>> English descriptions to Ruby test cases, running them with Cucumber.? This
>> time the participants would focus on writing, failing, asking and
>> succeeding.
>

> I think the majority of the participants of the workshop would still be
> catching up on how this browser automation thing works at all, so more
> training on that would be useful. I agree that failure analysis would be a
> good topic once when the majority of the participants are comfortable with
> writing the tests, but we are not there yet.

I don't really see these sessions as sequential.  I like that they are
granular and we can refer to them depending on context.  If someone wants
only to write ATDD Cucumber Scenarios for a feature, there is a recorded
online training session for that.  If someone wants to know how to write a
test end-to-end, from Cucumber Scenarios through test steps to the Page
Object, we have recordings of both the live session that I did in SF and
the online session that Željko did.

Since this one would be live in SF, I suspect we would want to attract a
large subset of those who attended the last live session in SF.  My idea is
that a session with new content would be more likely to attract repeat
visitors.

I have two other motivations for doing a 'failure analysis' presentation
besides providing new content:

For one thing, more people looking at our test results and asking questions
about failures would benefit the project overall, and to my knowledge is
there is essentially zero information about how to think about failures of
Selenium tests in general.

The other thing is that this project has always emphasized and tried to
remove barriers to entry.  If someone does not want to create test
scenarios or to code tests from scratch, I would like to spread the word
that checking out automated test failures is valuable.  And it's fun to
find a bug, too.  Sending mail to the list or filing a Bugzilla ticket
saying "hey, I was looking at the failures in the Jenkins build, I checked
the feature in my local browser and discovered that the Save button doesn't
work any more!" is pretty cool.

-Chris