[QA] beta cluster caching probably fixed

Antoine Musso hashar+wmf at free.fr
Thu Aug 1 21:37:14 UTC 2013

Hello,

The beta cluster attempts to reproduce the production environnement for
testing needs.  It had several issues related to caching which I believe
have been all fixed by now.

I though that it would be nice to have some automatic tests that would
verify the caching works properly.  I would one day have to look at
Selenium but meanwhile here are my tests idea:

 Editing an article should purge the mobile cache:

 Edit some page on http://en.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org/
 As an anonymous user the page should be up to date as well as its
mobile version on http://en.m.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org

 Uploading a new version of a file should clear the cached versions of
the thumbnails.

 Upload some File on commons.
 Generate a thumbnail.
 Upload a new version
 Verify the thumbnail is now a different file

The last test would be to make sure that CSS/JSS using the
ResourceLoader are using the bits server. I.E should match something like:

 https?://bits(.beta.wmflabs|wikimedia).org/load.php.*

We had the material cached on the text cache which was not invalidated.
That caused a lot of issues recently were outdated cached Javascript
were sent to the client :)

Thoughts?

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso