[Mediawiki-l] Real UTF-8 mediawiki

Christian Lerrahn lists at penpal4u.net
Sat Sep 30 14:45:56 UTC 2006

Hi,
is it possible to run Mediawiki on an all UTF-8 database? I tried to
convert a Mediawiki database which is still on latin1 and the import
stopped because of some keys getting too long in UTF-8. I've read that
Mediawiki is supposed to run on UTF-8, so why does this happen at all?
Or is this just the case with existing databases from old versions? (The
wiki was originally set up on 1.4 but is running on 1.7 now.)
Currently (i.e on latin1_bin tables) e.g. greek letters will not show
correctly on my wiki.

Cheers,
Christian