[Mediawiki-l] Calendar options, Wikipedia, krass.com

Chris Earle (CBL) cearle at cbltech.ca
Mon Sep 25 21:16:36 UTC 2006

Hi all

The time has come for me to implement a calendar into my wiki .... but i'm
wondering what sort of options I've got.

There's this nifty extension that would be really easy to get up and running
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Cdamian/calendar (demo here:
http://krass.com/wiki/Sandbox/Calendar)
...as all it does it make all the day links for you so you can click and
edit at will ........, simple, but would work

But then there's the insanity of what Wikipedia has ........... dates and
months and stuff all in there with events --- how do they do it?
Some quick digging will lead you to find that their month grids
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September are no more than a template,
generated with the help of a bot
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:SeptemberCalendar2006Source) --- but
can one be expected to sit down and manually enter all that stuff?  I mean,
all the events and stuff too?  Are they using some extra db table I don't
know about?

I'm pretty much sold on using Cdamian's extension to get me going:
pros: simple to add things to a day, since just standard blank articles
cons:might be too simplistic for entries -- no time data etc....can't look
up based on criteria

And what about iCal format?  I see this extension
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Sbrunner/SpecialICalendar.php but
haven't a clue what exactly it will do (anyone running it?) -- or if adding
entries in the iCal format will be too cryptic for my users

Holy long post I know!

Anyone with any suggestions or ideas -- please post

--
Chris