[Mediawiki-l] user account deletion and no reference constraints to the user table

David Zhang david_q_zhang at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 6 16:29:09 UTC 2006

Dave, thanks for your input. I understand your point.

>>Mediawiki does not really permit one to eliminate a
user account entirely...
>>Deleting a user from the database is NOT advised.

If so, why the MW development team did NOT create
any reference constraint to the user table? And if so,
then the lack of database reference constraints mean a
glaring implementation oversight.

Anybody knows the real intention of MW team?

Thanks, David

-------------------- previous emails --------

As I understand it, Mediawiki does not really permit
one to eliminate a
user
account entirely. Rather, it depends on blocking the
user from further
use
of the system. This preserves the account and
associated data, but
locks it
and keeps it from being accessed again.

Deleting a user from the database is NOT advised.
Others on this list
are
surely better informed than I, but I think that's the
short of it.

Dave Pace

On 9/5/06, David Zhang <david_q_zhang at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does MW have out-of-box feature for WikiSysop to
> remove a user account?
>
> If not, what happen if I manually remove a user
> account? Many dead links?
> non-functioning system?
>
> I am not sure whether other people have noticed that
> there are NO reference constraints
> to the user table from other MW tables. User
accounts
> are stored in the user table.
> Anybody knows why MW development team did NOT create
> references to user
> table? Obviously, many other tables have user
> information such as user_id, but
> why no database reference constraints to enforce
data