[Mediawiki-l] Locking "Templates" pages?

Ken McDonald ken at pixologic.com
Mon Jun 19 20:30:10 UTC 2006

In order to keep some control over the "look" of our site, we'd like to
restrict creating and editing of "Template:" pages to sysops; users
could request new templates, and if we were satisfied they were of
general interest, we'd create them, and document then on our template
documentation page.

I'm aware that there is no standard mechanism for assigning particular
access privileges based on namespace (we don't really want to use one of
the custom plugins unless it's pretty sure it will end up in the next
version of MW), but is there any "good" (semi-approved) way to
write-protect this particular namespace?

Thanks,
Ken