[Mediawiki-l] "Index" extension for MW?

Ken McDonald ken at pixologic.com
Mon Jun 19 20:18:16 UTC 2006

We would very much like some way of building true "indexes" to our MW
site. In particular, we'd like to be able to do something like this
(only at the "top level" of a page is needed, not enclosed in other
markup):

[[Index:Civil War]]

This would automatically create a "Civil War" entry in the index table
(if one did not already exist), and would create a link back to not just
the page containing the index markup, but also to the position on the
page where the 'Index' statement occurred. (A different syntax might be
preferable, but that's a minor point :-) ).

This is much easier than creating each category page manually, and is (I
think) much more useful for finding particular pieces on info within
large pages. It really fulfills a different function that do categories.

Any suggestions appreciated,
Ken