[Mediawiki-l] Upgrade and Problems with Images

Jonathan Boivin jonathan211 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 5 18:18:12 UTC 2006

Hi

I recently transferred my wiki from one web server to another before upgrading my mediawiki software from 1.4.. to 1.6.8. The first problem I encoutered is that the JPG and PNG files that were uploaded to the images folder by editors using Mediawiki seem to be corrupted ; when I download them using my FTP access to my computer or if I try to upload them to my new web server, I cannot open them or they do not display as they should. However, when I view them in the original wiki or if I ask my browser to display the URL of an image on the web, the images are ok (???). I don't understand why this problem happens, and do you have a less tedious way of solving it than taking the images from my browser one by one and right-clicking to save them on my computer before uploading them (there are 1200 images to fix) ?

Second, version 1.4 seems to place all the uploaded images directly in the images folder while 1.6.8 creates subdirectories with numbers or letters. As a consequence of that none of my images can be viewed because the new version can't find them, and I would have to upload each of them again ! Can I disable this subdirectories feature, or what determines the location where a particular image will be saved when uploaded ?

Thank you.
Jonathan Boivin