[Mediawiki-l] Upload dir "not writable" under XAMPP setup - How to make writable??

David Reimer djreimer at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 07:55:20 UTC 2006

I had asked back on Wed May 31 13:25:55 UTC 2006 about this problem:

[quote]
I am running mediawiki as a localhost setup for development/learning.
The environment is XAMPP (so, Apache, MySQL, PhP, etc.) in WinXP.
Everything is going well ... except for "uploads".

I have read this, and everything else I can find on enabling uploads.
For some reason I keep getting this error message:

"The upload directory ($/images) is not writable by the webserver."
[/quote]

Sy Ali replied suggesting I hard-code the path, which didn't work but
got me thinking.

I posted the solution on the mwuser's forum, but thought I should note
it here, too.

In LocalSettings.php, you remove the "$/" from the $wgUploadDirectory
setting, so it reads:

$wgUploadDirectory = "images";

and then the uploads work fine in WinXP+WAMPP setup ... at least for me!  :)

David.