[Mediawiki-l] Deleting unused accounts

Sy Ali sy1234 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 05:18:31 UTC 2006

On 1/7/06, Kyle Lutze <kyle at randomvoids.com> wrote:
> is the plan to have this lock usernames too? I think it would be cool to
> make a page that says: user account unavailible due to such and such
> reason, like all of the accounts that try to impersonate jimbo that
> curps keeps blocking, etc. possibly blocking other names that have a 99%
> chance of being used as a sockpuppet account in the future too? such as
> by sollog.

That would be a good feature request for mediawiki itself.

Maybe a list of regexes of usernames.  I could think of a number of
cussword or political usernames which ought to be banned.

This would be important for particularly high-popularity wikis.  I
wouldn't need to use it, but it would be a sensible feature to see.

With a basic search, it looks like this feature has not been requested yet:
http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance+desc&bug_status=__open__&product=&content=username+blacklist

Request it.. report back, and I'll vote on it.  =)