[Mediawiki-l] Trouble using external smtp server

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 16:14:00 UTC 2006

I have a little wiki set up on a home server that is connected to a
typical consumer ISP account. Lots of smtp servers reject mail that
comes straight from this server, so I usually set things up to mail
through another smtp server I have smtp-auth access to.

I found this page:

http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-cvs/2004-February/000414.html

which explains that I can set up $wgSMTP as an array, like so:

$wgSMTP = array (  "host" => "smtp.wherever.com",
                       "IDHost" => "mail.wikipedia.org",
                       "port" => "25",
                       "auth" => true,
                       "username" => "mailID",
                       "password" => "mailPswd");

(example only; I used real values for my setup) and then
UserMailer.php should send via the server that I specify.

Wherever I set $wgSMTP (I tried LocalSettings.php,
DefaultSettings.php, and in the function itself in UserMail.php--I
realize they should all have the same effect and that LocalSettings is
preferred), mail seems to break. For example, when I try to mail
myself my password on the login/create account page, I just get a
blank page (after clicking the "mail me a new password" button) and no
mail ever arrives.

Any thoughts? Where can I look for errors, etc., or how else can I test easily?

Thanks,
Matt