[Mediawiki-l] Error in numRows(): Illegal mix of collations

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Mon Feb 6 20:17:24 UTC 2006

muyuubyou wrote:
> In such case, either the chinese and japanese versions at wikipedia aren't
> using mySQL4,

They are all using MySQL 4.0.

Note that MySQL 4.1 and higher have some fancier and uglier character set
capabilities. I've never bothered to test 4.1 much (but have received no
complaints about it other than installer issues related to one of the password
upgrade library incompatibility problem or the key size on the categorylinks
table with InnoDB support missing), but on 5.0 everything seems to work fine
either running binary UTF-8 on top of the 8-bit latin1 charset, or using the
experimental raw UTF-8 mode on the UTF-8 charset (with the exception that the
rare 4-byte UTF-8 characters cause save failures, since MySQL is living in the
early 1990s and doesn't realize that Unicode is more than 16 bits.)

A default install of MySQL uses latin1 as the default, and the old MediaWiki
defaults (UTF-8 binary) work fine. If you want to explicitly try UTF-8 raw mode,
select that in the installer.

> or they're not using only the default installer. Out of the
> box, it doesn't work. Plain and simple. I can know point you to several
> sites having this same problem and I reckon some of them have just jumped to
> alternative wiki packages.

Point away, I'd love to hear specifics. But don't talk about MySQL 3; we don't
even support it anymore. :)

> I'm sure it works out of the box for latin_1 compatible languages (i.e. most
> other than asian languages and a couple exotic others). But this may not be
> enough.

All languages work fine; the language has no relevance since we *only* support
UTF-8, not Latin-1 at all anymore.

> I have another little issue: firefox doesn't post chinese/japanese/korean
> name titles properly (mangles encoding) while Opera and IE does.

Firefox works just fine. If you are having a problem you need to be specific
about it.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)