[Mediawiki-l] User Variable for Use in Templates

Rob Church robchur at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 13:18:11 UTC 2006

MediaWiki can co-operate with external server-side caching mechanisms
such as squid, etc. or maintain an internal parser cache of pages,
which reduces the load on the server somewhat, given that the markup
for a page no longer needs to be parsed upon each hit.

Introducing a variable like {{USERNAME}} would interfere with this
mechanism to some extent. Having said that, I doubt even the senior
developers can keep full track of what's cached when and where, so
it's possible that I'm not quite correct in thinking this. However,
evaluating the feature requests, and considering the caching to date,
it makes sense to me that this would interfere with server-side
caching.

All the above considered, if your wiki is a smaller one, it may be
possible to hack in some workarounds and/or hack in this variable and
disable the parser cache.

It's not *all* cut and dried. ;-)

Rob Church