[Mediawiki-l] calendaring and scheduling with MediaWiki

Hans Voss hans.voss at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 08:21:22 UTC 2006

I actually use my private wiki for calendering purposes.

But indeed, this is not ready for the non-tech savvy people. I used
Christof Damian's calendar extension for displaying.
I now have settled on a predefined 'article' format for the individual days.
Then I wrote a Perl script (I am more comfortable with Perl than with
PHP) that will check each day's article and notify me when an
'appointment' is due.

It is merely a matter of convenience to keep it in the wiki in the
first place. I have (as yet) no synchronisation of calendars what so
ever, although the latest versions of Christof's extension could just
help me out there (it seems it can produce iCal/vcal files).

On 12/4/06, cohesion <cohesion at sleepyhead.org> wrote:
> On 12/4/06, Markus Krötzsch  wrote:
> > > You might try semantic mediawiki extension
> > > (http://ontoworld.org/wiki/Main_Page). It's not super simple, and I
> > > also agree with Kasimir, google apps for your domain would be the
> > > easiest if you want a calendar. I played around with semantic
> > > mediawiki for this purpose though, it works, but it's certainly not
> > > simple for people who don't like computers.
> >
> > Which I fear is a problem for MediaWiki in general ... Anyway, suggestions to
> > further simplify Semantic MediaWiki are always welcome. Or maybe we need to
> > improve the documentation?
> >
> > -- Markus
>
> No, I think it does a good job doing what its main design is, saying
> something like this article subject was "born in" some date etc. But
> using it instead of a Lotus Notes/Outlook/Google calendars would be
> rough for non-tech people. I don't really think it should try harder
> to be those apps though, its not. It is actually flexible enough to
> use in that way though, if you need to, but I wouldn't want it to be
> the use-case that I was hoping would switch people to liking wikis.
> :D
>
> If you're hoping to convert people, use mediawiki for procedures and
> documentation, that's way easier than calendaring :)
>
> Judson

----
Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards
Hans Voss