[Mediawiki-l] CharInsert-extension problem

Birger bweynants at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 07:47:55 UTC 2006

Hello there,

I tried to add to my wiki (Mediawiki version 1.6; PHP 5.1.2) the
CharInsert-extension. I did the following:

1) Created a CharInsert.php-file in /extensions/CharInsert (copy-paste
from http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/extensions/CharInsert/CharInsert.php)
2) Replaced the javascript-code from skins/common/wikibits.js with the
javascript from
http://en.wikipedia.org/skins-1.5/common/wikibits.js?1.
3) Changed Mediawiki:Edittools to put in the charinsert-tags and other
wiki-code like in wikipedia in order to adapt the text beneith the
edit-box and give users the possibility to easily add special
characters. (I have to tell that in my wiki-setup,
$wgUseDatabaseMessages = false;).
4) Added require_once("$IP/extensions/CharInsert/CharInsert.php"); to
localsettings.php.

...unfortunately this returned a completely blank page, unless i
changed "require_once" into "include" (as is suggested on other
sites). Then the wiki was viewable again in the browser, but the
CharInsert-stuff still didn't work. So i tried to put the textmessages
with special characters into the copyrightwarning in messages.php (as
is also suggested on some sites), but unfortunately the text is not
parsed (the <charinsert>-tags are still there instead of being parsed).

I really can't see what i am doing wrong here. Does anyone have any idea
what should do the trick?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Birger