[Mediawiki-l] Translation

ninux (linux) ninux at lernado.it
Wed Aug 16 09:05:24 UTC 2006

wiki at avenarius.sk ha scritto:
> On Wednesday, 16th August 2006 at 10:14:40 (GMT +0200), ninux (linux) wrote:
>

>> I've configured my mediawiki in Esperanto, but I've noticed that some
>> expressions [...] still  appear in English, although they've been translated
>> in the language  files (LanguageEo.php, MessagesEo.php) and in eo.wikipedia.org.
>> What's wrong with my installation?
>>

> Nothing.  As I wrote to this list yesterday, see <mid:16270687.20060815110126 at avenarius.sk>,
> you now have two options:
>
> 1) go to http://yoursite.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Allmessages ,
> locate the message that still appears in English and translate it into
> Esperanto
>
> OR
>
> 2) put $wgUseDatabaseMessages = false into your DefaultSettings.php file,
> which will activate the translations you can see in the two language files.
>
> I very much prefer the method #2, although supposedly not so clean,
> because it's much faster when you need to do wholesale re-writing
> of the messages in your wiki (and I do re-translate a string or two
> every day). Another reason is that if you have $wgUseDatabaseMessages
> = true, this is supposed to make your wiki load up to 25-60% slower
> if your server doesn't have memcached installed (and ours doesn't).

Sorry, I'm not able to read what you wrote yesterday (the link seems to
be an email link).

I tried the second method, but it didn't work, so I've put
$wgUseDatabaseMessages back to "true" and I tried the first method: it
doesn't work because it seems the system doesn't want to go back!

Any suggestion?

Ciao,
Nino