[Mediawiki-l] Apple's Wiki Server brings WYSIWYG to wiki

Gary Kirk gary.kirk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 11:11:49 UTC 2006

To be honest, I don't even see how a message about Apple's new WYSIWYG wiki
even came to be posted to this mailing list - *The MediaWiki announcements
and site admin list*. Great, you're looking forward to ditching MediaWiki.
The thing is, *we really don't care*. Go away, what do you expect, people
begging you to use MediaWiki? It's free software, no-one here is making
anything out of it! Now I'm wasting my time reading all this. Yes, you could
say "why not bother then, we're not making you" but I felt I had to add
this.

Thank you.

-- gary kirk

On 8/9/06, Christiaan Briggs <christiaan at yurkycross.co.uk> wrote:

> On 9 Aug 2006, at 4:09 AM, Erik Moeller wrote:
>
> > On 8/8/06, Christiaan Briggs <christiaan at yurkycross.co.uk> wrote:
> >> I know what the arguments are, I've heard them all and
> >> participated in many of the discussions. From my experience,
> >> however, the *real* obstacle is an installed base of technocrats
> >> who sees WYSIWYG as a threat to their positions
> >
> > This is really not true at all. Both Wikia and SocialText are
> > working hard to get WYSIWYG right in MediaWiki. It's a big, big
> > challenge if you try to preserve wiki mark-up and functionality
> > (templates, magic words etc.) at the same time. We'd all love to
> > see it, but we can neither make existing Wikimedia content stop
> > working nor exclude users with disabilities or low-end software/
> > hardware from editing our projects in the process.
>
> "We'd all love to see it" Are you sure about that Erik?
>
> Christiaan

Gary Kirk