[Mediawiki-l] wikitext search

Mr Scsi mrscsi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 19:54:44 UTC 2006

> See maybe:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.mediawiki/11329/focus=11341
>
> Fran?ois
>
> Mr Scsi wrote:
> > Hello,
> > We have an installation of Wikimedia with a mysql backend for a proof of
> > concept.
> > Currently, everyone thinks very highly of it with one problem. The
> search
> > function doesn't seem to be searching the wikitext field of any
> articles.
> > It returns catagory names and page names if they match exactly, but
> nothing
> > from the body of the article.
> > I'm sure this is just a configureation issue, that needs to be set.
> Could
> > someone tell me what we are missing?
> >
> > Heres all the version info:
>

> wrong link, sorry:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.mediawiki/11505/focus=11505
> Fran?ois

Thanks for the response, but that wasn't my problem.
I dug and dug through the dump files and logs to finally come to the
conclusion that mysql is pre configured to limit full text search to minimum
of 4 characters.

I made the change:

[mysqld]
ft_min_word_len=3

in my /etc/my.cnf. Ran the maintenance script to reindex and bingo.