[Mediawiki-l] MediaWiki as a media repository

Jason Young jason.young at eXtension.org
Wed Apr 12 20:04:55 UTC 2006

One of our MediaWiki installs is for faculty to collaboratively build
content, tagged with additional dublin-core (or whatever that IEEE
metadata standard is, I forget which) metadata, gone through a bit of
peer analysis and review, and be exported out to a more "public" web
site.

One of the things that those that are shepherding this use have been
needing is to do media uploads (as opposed to just images) - so that
they can collaboratively view/evaluate the media for future export.
Mainly flash files and mpeg4 movies.   Some of which could be
50-100MB, maybe even more.  The total number of these flash/movie
files will probably stay under a few hundred for the next year, year
and a half.

Because MediaWiki comes "out of the box" supporting only image
extensions, and because the default upload file size on most PHP
installations is so low, I've avoided letting them use Mediawiki for
this.   I did open up the extensions, but never really let files >
4MB be uploaded.    In earlier 1.5.x MediaWiki releases, the Gallery
of New Files would often blow up, as MediaWiki ran out of memory (I
assume) trying render thumbnails for the PDF, flash, (and powerpoint
sadly, but that's another story) files.     That has abated, due to
increases in PHP memory available to that mediawiki site, and maybe
even fixed by later 1.5.x releases, I haven't gone through all the
change notes.

But, despite that, I need to do something quick, and we'ved managed
to get older faculty, some of who can be pretty obstinate about
learning new technologies, working in a wiki.   They are beginning to
understand the wiki way (even if they insist on subverting it a bit
with this validation/peer review process before things are deemed
"public"), use the history, use metadata, etc.   I like the idea of
opening up the limits a bit on the mediawiki install so they can
upload their multi-tens-of-megabytes media, because we have the
history, categories, other metadata right there in a somewhat familar
interface.

All this is a rambly introduction to a question of:

Are others using MediaWiki as a media repository of sorts?  What
kinds of things do I need to watch out for?  What are some of the
best practices/settings/etc. for this?    Thoughts from my fellow MW
admins

Thanks,
Jason
--
Jason Young --  Systems Engineer, eXtension