[Mediawiki-l] Navigational maps - is this all there is?

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Tue Apr 11 16:29:27 UTC 2006

> From: Rich Morin <rdm at cfcl.com>
>
> At 6:41 PM -0700 4/10/06, Jan Steinman wrote:
>> Graphviz already does image maps. Are you having a specific
>> problem with Graphviz, or is this just an "in general" comment?
>
> Yes, Graphviz already does image maps.  I have used these to great
> effect on web sites.  Now, how do I use them on MediaWiki?

First question: is your site secure?

If you disable account creation and only allow trusted users, it is
trivial to make a "raw html" extension. That's how I include
QuickTime movies and image maps:
     http://www.bytesmiths.com/wiki/Body%2C_chassis%2C_driveline
     http://www.bytesmiths.com/wiki/Fuel_system_common_components

But if you allow the public to edit, you shouldn't do that.

Let me know if you want my insecure hack, or it's easy enough to hack
up yourself. It's only a couple lines inside the extension boilerplate.

:::: The antidote to fear is action! ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.EcoReality.org ::::