[Mediawiki-l] Categories and displayed name.

Markus Krötzsch mak at aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Apr 6 12:56:21 UTC 2006

On Thursday 06 April 2006 14:05, Rick DeNatale wrote:
> On 4/6/06, HumanCell .org <humancell at gmail.com> wrote:
> >     [[Category:MyCategory|DisplayThisInstead]]
> > Is rendered as
> >     Categories: MyCategory
> > instead of
> >     Categories: DisplayThisInstead
> >
> > i.e. the syntax is the same as piped link but is in fact a category sort
> > key.
> >
> > It'd be more consistent to use
> >     [[Category:MyCategory|DisplayThisInstead|MySortKey]]
>
> Off the top of my head, and after only a few sips of coffee this
> morning, I think that it would be more consistent to use:
>
>        [[Category:MyCategory|MySortKey|DisplayThisInstead]]
>
> which would be consistent with the way pipes are used to parameterize
> Image links e.g. [[Image:MyImage|thumb|Cool caption]]
>
> It would also have the benefit of not breaking existing pages which
> don't use this new syntax.
>
> On the other hand allowing alternate presentations of category links
> raises some consistency issues that might make it inadvisable.

Yes, I agree with this point. The inline version [[:Category:MyCategory|
DisplayThisInstead]] works, and this is where you need alternative labels.
The alternative label is meant to facilitate inserting links into the article
text, not to obscure/rename the target. Why change the category name as
displayed at the page bottom? If there are really multiple senses for some
category, then it might be better to make two categories, possibly related in
a meaningful way in the category hierarchy.

--
Markus Krötzsch
Institute AIFB, University of Karlsruhe, D-76128 Karlsruhe