[Mediawiki-l] Modifying the category system

a@kid a at kid632.org
Tue Apr 4 18:44:51 UTC 2006

This is my first post here so ... hello and a big thank you to the
everyone involved in the development of mediawiki.
-----------------------------------

I am thinking of significantly modifying the way categories are
handled on my mediawiki site and i'm looking for advice, insights,
warnings etc about my plan.

There are two things i'm trying to achieve:

1) Create a category manager for articles that would allow users with
no understanding of wikitext to easily update an article's
categories. I would continue to use the categorylinks table as it
exists. But i would have a link on each article page to a custom
Special page that allowed users to add/remove categories for that
article. I would disable the parsing of category links on article
pages so that my custom Special page was  the only way for users to
update categories.

2) Create numeric categories that can have units associated with them
and can be sorted and manipulated as integers. These categories would
need to have both a name and a value. The name would exist in the
current categorylinks table just like any other category. However, i
would build new tables to hold the values and units for these numeric
categories. Examples: Volume: 12 oz, Storage capacity 128 mb.

It seems like i *should* be ok as long as i ...
a) don't modify the structure of the categorylinks table
b) rely on the built in functions of mediawiki to add and remove
items from the table
c) create a special page to manage categories (rather than messing
with the internals of mediawiki)

I say this knowing fairly little about mediawiki. So please tell me
if i'm missing something very important here.

A few questions ...
Has anyone here made similar changes to the category system?
Can anyone know point me towards any documentation that would help me
out?

Are there any current plans to redesign the way categories are
managed in a future version of mediawiki? Will categories continue to
be managed through the wiki text of the articles themselves for the
forseeable future?

thanks