[Mediawiki-l] Allow PDF uploads?

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Tue Sep 27 15:45:26 UTC 2005

Rob Church wrote:
> PDF is a document, not an image format. As far as I know, there is
> also no server-side control which would allow display of PDF files, so
> I have a nasty feeling the answer to both your questions is, "no".

PDF is a page description format, a format for stuff that is
intended to be represented as a printed page.  As such it can also
be converted to a (high resolution) bitmap image.  I guess you can
combine xpdf or ghostscript into a 300 dpi PDF-to-PNG converter on
the server side, and then to use MediaWiki's scaling function to
present this image in any reduced scale you wish.  That would be
an interesting extension.  But I don't think it has been done yet.

One interesting aspect of PDF is that one file can contain many
pages.  So how do you select which of the contained pages to
extract and reproduce as an image?  You can make an entire gallery
of thumbnails out of one PDF file.  For runtime performance
reasons, you might want to start the page extraction in the
background as soon as the PDF file is uploaded.  Or maybe not.

TIFF is another container format, where one file can contain
multiple pages, so the same selection/gallery problems would arise
there.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)