[Mediawiki-l] Uploaded files, URL addressing and file types

cefn.hoile at bt.com cefn.hoile at bt.com
Thu Sep 22 15:54:36 UTC 2005

A few issues with uploading and addressing files.

First of all, I can't find a sensible way of addressing an uploaded file
as a URL. I seem to end up with bizarre urls, such as
http://myserver/images/e/eb/IST.jpg

Where what I really want is something like
http://myserver/uploads/IST.jpg
<http://myserver/mediawiki/uploads/IST.jpg>

without the random URL.

This means I can reliably refer to such files from the template or from
anywhere else, and then the versioning can look after serving up the
latest version of the file, and people can manage it as per normal
uploaded files.

Secondly, I'm confused as to why all uploaded files are treated as
images, when for our purposes, things like pdfs and other documents
uploaded by people would be really helpful, and as far as I can see,
this functionality is identical, but somehow there is an inbuilt
assumption that all files are images, in terms of the filter for file
upload, but also in all of the referencing syntax.

Glad of any suggestions.

Cefn
http://cefn.com