[Mediawiki-l] Install failure on Windows with MySQL 4.1/PHP 5

David J. Biesack David.Biesack at sas.com
Wed Sep 21 19:33:45 UTC 2005

I'm having trouble installing MediaWiki 1.5 on Windows with MySQL 4.1 and either PHP 4 or PHP 5.

MediaWiki config yields the following

* PHP is linked with old MySQL client libraries. If you are using a MySQL 4.1 server and have problems connecting to the database, see http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/old-client.html for help.

MySQL works and I've converted the root password to the old password format as per http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/old-client.html but MediaWiki cannot connect. I'm passing the correct root password through the MediaWiki config form.

I think part of this is a problem running MySQL 4 as a Windows service does not use the old-passwords format. MySQL does not seem to recognize the old-passwords option in the my.ini file (see my post to mysql forums http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?11,45694,45694#msg-45694)

I tried by I could not get apache 2/php 5 running because PHP failed loading the php-mysqli.dll extension (I don't know why...), so I tried php 4.

Has anyone else gotten around this?

--
David J. Biesack     SAS Institute Inc.
(919) 531-7771       SAS Campus Drive