[Mediawiki-l] Access based on IP address-ranges possible (Intranet)?

Gustav Vella gustav.vella at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 16:56:30 UTC 2005

Hi

On 9/13/05, Marcel de Ruiter <zeeforel70 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Would it be possible to provide acccess based on IP adress-ranges (not having to provide an account and password and doing all the maintenance; resetting passwords etc.)? I know that we then do not have automatically logged in editors, but is just good to know the possibility.

Yes it is possible

at least with Apache2..did this via /etc/apache2/default-server.conf

following settings:

 <Directory "/xxx/yyy/htdocs/wiki">
       AllowOverride None           #Overriden by .htaccess-Files forbidden
       Satisfy any                  #either Authentification or access
from xx.uni-koeln.de
       AuthName "mywikiname"
       AuthType Basic
       AuthUserFile /xxx/xxx/passwd/users
       Require valid-user
       Order deny,allow
       Deny from all
       Allow from xx.uni-koeln.de   #you can here define further
access without password
 </Directory>

Gustav