[Mediawiki-l] Re: Vandalism, but then they corrected it?

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Fri Sep 2 23:32:36 UTC 2005

I have a simple, 100% effective way of dealing with spambots: change
the login page. (Oh yes -- this only works if you restrict edits to
logged in users.)

On http://www.IslandSeeds.org/wiki, I wanted to get first and last
names, so I hacked that page to include the extra field, and added it
to the database schema, and changed the username function so that it
concatenated those two fields.

This wiki is fairly well known and linked, and yet, NEVER gets hit by
spambots. I think they get confused about the login requirements.

This suggests that doing something as trivial as changing the NAME
attribute of either the username or password field may frustrate
spambots.

But what I REALLY want is an email or Turing authentication scheme.
Is that in 1.5, or coming down the road?

:::: Any sufficiently advanced political correctness is
indistinguishable from irony. -- Erik Naggum
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Item/85AE31>