[Mediawiki-l] Interview Request for book on Wikis in the Workplace

Richard Karpinski dick at cfcl.com
Wed Oct 26 05:40:01 UTC 2005

Well, I'm involved with half a dozen wikis, but none has more than a
couple of dozen pages. They do however have several features that
interest me.

There are a couple involving education. One on the history of personal
computers in education and one on the future flavors of education,
especially open education. Both are linked from www.loopcntr.org

The biggest one is at RaskinCenter.org and was converted to a wiki only
lately. It even has Forums on a wiki page although I just added both a
base wiki page for forum conversations which deserve condensing and
editing into more readable form than a series of time ordered postings
and a second path to the naked Forums without the wiki navigation bar
consuming a quarter of the screen. It also has a private wiki for
company business which had a large page on the design of some software.
For it I constructed the same heading structure on the discussion page
with two way links in every section. This permits an interested reader
to pop back and forth within any section of which concerns her.

Finally, BZ Web Corp has two private wikis, one for staff and one for
staff and our biggest client. The most interesting thing to me in these
two is the dialog map where, in indented outline form, there are many
Questions, Answers to  Questions, and arguments Pro and Con for the
Answers. This partially captures our detailed thoughts about the big
project with our biggest client. The wikiness allows all readers to add
more Qs, As, Pros, Cons, and References wherever they feel the need.

Of course, my feeling is that Wikipedia and Wiktionary are both larger
wiki deployments used behind corporate firewalls.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Dick