[Mediawiki-l] Newbie Installation Dillemma

Billy Covington wrcovington at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 23:22:16 UTC 2005

Hi there! I'm kinda new to all of this, and would appreciate it if any
of you could help me out. I'm trying to install MediaWiki to:

http://singletrackwiki.thesteeps.net

I'm worried about going further in the setup process because of this
gibberish (or maybe it's not gibberish?)

My server is GoDaddy, running on Linux, and running PHP vers. 4.3.11

Now, I've uploaded all of the contents of the mediawiki-1.5.2.tar into
the directory that singletrackwiki.thesteeps.net directs you to. I now
get this at the top of the page when I navigate to it (in Safari and
Firefox, but not IE):

index.php"Q?2?2mBIN????Defines.phph?K??K?mBIN???DefaultSettings.php?<???????mBIN????SiteConfiguration.php
???????mBIN???, {{{flower image}}}

MediaWiki 1.5.2

You'll have to set the wiki up first!

I haven't even gotten to the main install form and this error occurs.

The main install form (when I click "set up the wiki") has the
following (in Safari, Firefox, AND IE):

index.php±ƒ¿‡7<¿‡7 Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers
already sent by (output started at
/home/content/t/h/e/thesteeps/html/singletrackwiki/config/index.php:1)
in /home/content/t/h/e/thesteeps/html/singletrackwiki/config/index.php
on line 22
Defines.phph¿KÈ¿KÈmBIN‚?æ¥DefaultSettings.phpÒ<¿Ž¶Ð¿Ž¶ÐmBIN‚?æíSiteConfiguration.php
¦¾÷'¾÷'mBIN‚?Ç, MagicWord.php"¾ãmº¾ãmºmBIN‚?"?
Namespace.phpŒ¿&š¿&šmBIN‚?Æ
at the top of the page...

What do you think could be the problem?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I'm a designer, and not
very code-savvy apart from CSS and HTML!