[Mediawiki-l] Empty pages, can't save pages or login, but no errors???

Belorion belorion at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 15:09:08 UTC 2005

Mediawiki 1.5.2
Suse 9.2
Apache 2.0.49
PHP 4.4.0
MySQL 4.0.18

I installed mediawiki into the document root of my vhost with no apparent
errors (ie its sitting in wiki.mydomain.com, not www.mydomain.com/wiki, and
no errors going through the install process).  After dropping
LocalSettings.php into the "parent" directory, I can visit the home page
just fine.  In fact, I can "visit" most any pages just fine.

However, what does not work is the following:

(these both give me the same error.  In IE I get a "cannot display this
page", in Firefox it wants to download a completely empty index.php file)

Clicking on "create an account or login"
I can get to the "edit" form for the main page, but when I hit save, I get
the above error

I have other apps that use php/mysql just fine (phpBB, wordpress).  I turned
on debugging from inside LocalSettings.php ($wgDebugLogFile =
"/tmp/wikilog"), but the log doesn't show me any errors:

>> Start <<
Start request
GET /index.php?title=Special:Userlogin&returnto=Special:Specialpages
Host: wiki.mydomain.com
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
Keep-Alive: 300
Referer: http://wiki.mydomain.com/index.php?title=Special:Specialpages

Main cache: fakememcachedclient
Message cache: mediawikibagostuff
Parser cache: mediawikibagostuff
<< End >>

My apache error log shows no errors.  I tried turning on error logging with
php.ini:

error_reporting  =  E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE
log_errors = on
error_log = /tmp/php_errors

But the php error log is empty (and the log is 666 in case it was having
write permission problems).

I have been banging my head on this problem for several days now.  Does
anyone have any idea what's going on here?  Thanks.

Matt