[Mediawiki-l] Page access restiction (resend)

Jej jejc at free.fr
Tue Nov 22 09:48:07 UTC 2005

It seems that many people need this feature. Since I published this
patch
(http://conseil-recherche-innovation.net/index.php/1974/04/11/41-restrict-pages-under-mediawiki-15),
we have 25% of visits on this single article. Generaly people need
restriction feature to manage small wikis, private intranets. I guess
they choose mediawiki for the syntax, templates, and
reliabilty/community support, and not for the ability to manage projects
as big as wikipedia nor encyclopedies.

 From a wikipedia point of view, I think nobody wants more restriction
features (protect is enough). We cannot polute the core of MW with
features not useful for WP, it's difficult to maintain patches for ages,
and it's not necessary to carry WP specific features in a forked
project. So my choice would be a fifth... E. To write some
specifications from needs, abstract the problem, and start a new project
:) Any ideas ?!...

Read you,
Jej