[Mediawiki-l] "old mySQL" versions message during install of v1.5.2

Mark Furst mfurst at appgeo.com
Fri Nov 18 16:36:31 UTC 2005

Greetings,

I'm attempting to install MediaWiki 1.5.2 on an OpenBSD 3.8 with Mysql
4.0.24, Apache 1.3.29 and PHP-5.0.4 and I'm hoping someone on the list
has dealt with this or can point me in the right direction for solving
the issue.

I can connect without any problem to mysql on the console or via ssh
session:
# mysql -u root -pmypassword
Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 74 to server version: 4.0.24

mysql> SELECT Host, User FROM mysql.user;
+-------------------+------+
| Host | User |
+-------------------+------+
| myserver.mydomain.com | |
| myserver.mydomain.com | root |
| localhost | |
| localhost | root |
+-------------------+------+
4 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql>

I even tested with php:
<head>
<title>PHP MySQL connection test</title>
<?php
$connect = mysql_connect('localhost', 'root', 'mypassword');
// if no connect then die
if (!connect) {
die('something went wrong' .mysql_error());
}
echo 'It is time to enjoy your new OpenBSD Apache PHP MySQL powered web
server.';
// good form to close the connection
mysql_close($connect);
// close the php
?>

This works fine and returns "It is time to enjoy...".

BUT when I run the installation, I get this:
MediaWiki 1.5.2 installation
Please include all of the lines below when reporting installation
problems.
Checking environment...
* PHP 5.0.4: ok
* PHP server API is apache; ok, using pretty URLs (index.php/Page_Title)
* Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
* PHP is configured with no memory_limit.
* Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
* Neither Turck MMCache nor eAccelerator are installed, can't use object
caching functions
* GNU diff3 not found.
* Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be enabled
if you enable uploads.
* Installation directory: /htdocs/mediawiki
* Script URI path: /mediawiki
* Warning: $wgSecretKey key is insecure, generated with mt_rand().
Consider changing it manually.
* PHP is linked with old MySQL client libraries. If you are using a
MySQL 4.1 server and have problems connecting to the database, see
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/old-client.html for help.
* Trying to connect to MySQL on localhost as root...
o MySQL error 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

I follow the steps for old client libraries and that didn't help.

I changed the Mysql server from localhost to the FQDN of my server then
I got this:
[...]
* Trying to connect to MySQL on myserver.mydomain.com as root...
o Connected as root (automatic)
* Connected to 4.0.24; enabling MySQL 4 enhancements
* Warning: $wgSecretKey key is insecure, generated with mt_rand().
Consider changing it manually.
* Created database wikidb
* Creating tables... using MySQL 3/4 table defs... done.
* Initializing data...
* Granting user permissions...
OurWiki has a problem
Sorry! This site is experiencing technical difficulties.
Try waiting a few minutes and reloading.
(Can't contact the database server: )

Does anyone have any idea on to fix/troubleshoot the installation?
Should I try an earlier version of Media Wiki or PHP?

Thanks in advance.